Sydney Shopping at the QVB
Next: St Mary’s Cathedral
Queen Victoria Building: Built in 1898, this Romanesque architecture building was designed by George McRae as Government architect.
Originally designed as a shopping centre it has been restored over a number of years back to its former glory, re-opening in 1986. It had narrowly escaped demolition in the late 1950s, 60s and early 70s.
Ipoh Pty Ltd is the group responsible for saving this beautiful building, they also succesfully restored other famous Sydney shopping places, including The Strand Arcade, Chifley Plaza, The Galeries and where the shops are in the Sydney GPO at No. 1 Martin Place.
Other well known Sydney buildings designed by George McRae include the Parcels Post Office at Railway Square, the Taronga Zoo lower entrance and the Cessnock Court House. He also designed the Education Department Building on Bridge Street.
The QVB is a notable Sydney attraction as well as providing great shopping. There are also photo and art galleries, places to sample delicious fare and excellent hand made chocolates. See the location on the centre of the Sydney City Map.
Previous: Inner Sydney City
Topic: Inner City Suburbs
Australia Tourist Guide
Desktop Version: Desktop